Friday, July 15, 2011

Let's go to Buc-ee's!

For all you non-Texas folks out there, Buc-ee's is a gas station/convenience store to the max found only in Texas. I first encountered it on my road trip to Galveston back in January of 2009 when I drove by this sign in Gonzales, Texas. I didn't go in at the time, but found the sign kind of "quirky" to say the least...especially with little Buc-ee gazing longingly towards something...well, nevermind...you probably get the picture.

(Sidebar: Look at the price of gas here...$2.18. Whoa.)

So, I've run into a few more Buc-ee's since then and I'm really wondering who comes up with these signs. No, Buc-ee, the overbite is not sexy.

And this one...really?? I'm just not getting the humor in this and think it's just kind of stupid.

"Ice...made from scratch..." Huh??

Driving through Gonzales again last week, I saw that they changed their Buc-ee sign to this. Maybe some people complained about the "Beaver Believer" sign.

So, when I was coming back from Rockport a few weeks ago, I drove through Luling, Texas, which has a brand new Buc-ees. Yay! I grabbed my camera to see what all the excitement was about.

They have about 20 gas pumps and the parking lot was full. Keep in mind that Luling is in the middle of nowhere (like most other small towns in Texas), but it's on a main highway, so that adds to its popularity.

Here we go!

In the entryway...chimineas and...whatever those other things are...

Walking in the back door...

And the other way...

Hunting clothing...

Soup pots and ladles for when you're out on the trail with the other cowpokes...

Cross and star dishware...

Crosses "made in Texas by Texans"...as opposed to ones made in Texas by New Yorkers...or others made in Rhode Island by Californians. Whatever the case, I don't think they're very attractive.

University of Texas Longhorn stuff...

Texas A&M Aggie stuff...

And Texas State University Bobcat stuff...

And your typical cowhides which you'd find in most convenience stores (or not). "Honey, I'm going to fill up the truck...why don't you go inside and pick up one of them quilted cowhides."

A cowboy prayer...

The John Wayne aisle...

And, yay!! Buc-ee clothing! For the tots...

And the grown-ups. $35.00 for this little short-sleeved item. Hmmm...I wonder. Would I rather spend $35 on a nice shirt that I could wear to work? Or maybe $35 on a bunch of tank tops that I could wear to Mexico? Or $35 on a shirt that has a stupid looking beaver on it that I would be embarrassed to wear anywhere? I think you could probably guess my answer.

Lots of Texas cookbooks...

And then we get to the food. Buc-ee sandwiches and dips...

Beaver nuggets. I'm not even going to guess where these came from.

The most expensive coolers in the free world. The day I will spend $219 to $359 on a freaking cooler is the day pigs will fly.

And a hitch hoist for your deer kill...an item I frequently wish I could find in convenience stores.

Lots more Buc-ee snacks...

And here's ol' Buc-ee! I think the guy in the yellow shirt must have lost his wife and kids in the parking lot.

Buc-ee's happy customers waiting in line! The woman holding the child has Buc-ee donuts, another guy has a Buc-ee T-shirt on...I'm surprised the guy with the tattoos doesn't have one of Buc-ee emblazoned on his arm. I'm kind of feeling like I'm in a Buc-ee Twilight Zone.

Buc-ee fudge...

Happy Buc-ee cooks...

Buc-ee baked goods...

Buc-ee dried beef...

Buc-ee Signature Sausages...

And state-of-the-art ordering computers...

So, you can probably guess my thoughts on Buc-ees. They're overpriced and gimmicky...and hell will freeze over before I go into one again. Just my dos centavos, Buc-ee.

5 comments:

MD in Texas said...

Those must be a South Texas oddity? I have lived in Texas (Dallas area) all of my 48 years and never seen one. I think I am thankful for that! :)

Ann said...

LOL! What a great way to start the day--far away here in NE! Thanks for sharing--I thought Stuckey's was bad....

Jenna said...

Buc-ee's is amazing! Every time we pass it on the way to go camping we have to stop in and grab some of the amazing food and a item for memories! It is a huge South Texas tradition! You need to try their home made banana pudding:) Best gas station by far!

musiclover84 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
musiclover84 said...

I first found out about Buc-ees through a family member a couple of years ago. I went to one in New Braunfels in August 2012 it was cool (ok the Bucee beaver mascot is adorable, so much so that I had to get a Bucee beaver keychain) I wish there was in Dallas minus the hunting stuff those cause that makes the store look a little too rednecky